Craig Newmark Speaking at Case Western
He spoke for about 20 minutes and just wrapped up. A few highlights from his speech:
- It's the common, trite things that people care about
- I'm a nerd and wore a pocket protector back when I was in school
- "I suck as a manager" and that why Jim Buckmaster runs Craiglist
- Treat others as you want to be treated
- Customer Service is my job
- It's not that we (Craigslist) don't want to sell out, but it comes down to Nerd Value: once you've become comfortable and planned out your future, why should you want to get more money?
- I know rich people in Silicon Valley and money doesn't make them more happy, it becomes a burden so instead we focus on doing, on action
- The internet is fostering new ways of social action and philantropy, like Donor's Choice
- MBAs should think about customer service as a valuable asset rather than a cost
- If you're graduating from law school, think about the U.S. political elections for president because Washington is going to need some new lawyers
- He also noted that Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert were some of America's top news reporters
And if you watch the video, try the WMV version instead of the Quicktime version, it was much better quality.